Letting Go






Hello everyone! This week I wanted to talk to you guys about letting go. By letting go I’m talking about letting go of anything that causes us more harm in our lives than good. For this blog, I want to specifically talk about letting go of unhealthy relationships both platonic and romantic. Letting go of past relationships has been something that has always been hard for me just because I like to believe that there’s good in everyone. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that this isn’t necessarily true. It’s also true that just because a person wasn’t good to us, it doesn’t make them evil, it just means that they weren’t meant to be in our lives. Letting go of someone especially someone you were really close to can be really hard but it can be harder not to let go because we are then stuck in a vicious cycle with them.


Throughout my childhood and my teenage years I had a best friend named Apple (her name’s not actually Apple but for privacy reasons this is what I will refer to her as). I was basically her little sidekick throughout the whole time and I always felt like she was above me. I had gotten so used to it that I didn’t even realize how badly she treated me and how I basically just was her sidekick. Two years ago Apple had gotten me a job at the place she worked at. I thought working together would bring us closer together but it actually did the opposite. During this time, I was changing in the way that I was learning about my self worth more and letting go of people that did me more harm than good. Apple began to notice this and she didn’t like it. It was then that I decided that it was time to let her go as well. It hurt but in the end it was for the best. Letting go of bad friendships has allowed me to make new friendships that are actually healthy and worthwhile. It’s definitely not easy letting go of people especially if they’ve been in your life for so long but not letting go leaves no room for growth and no room for new relationships. 


For my picture this week I chose one of me and my best friend, Natasha. Natasha is a very important person in my life and I love her like a sister. I chose this picture because it’s a symbol of how letting go of people that hurt us will give us new opportunities to meet people that are better for us. If I had never let go of Apple, I probably wouldn’t be as close as I am to Natasha today. Letting go is hard but not letting go prevents you from all the things you can be missing out on. Thanks for reading!


Comments

  1. Hi Megan! I absolutely loved your post! Letting go of a relationship is never easy, but prioritizing ourselves, our happiness, and our well-being should always come first. Although it will take us a lot of courage and unlearning to do, letting go of toxic people and relationships is so rewarding. I loved how you compared “letting of people who hurt us” to making room for growth and new relationships. I have never thought about it this way, yet it is so powerful. Growth is a crucial part of our lives. So, when people who mistreated us are unwilling to change their ways, leaving us no room for growth, we should prioritize always ourselves and let them go. Thank you for such an empowering read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!
    WOW! This is exactly what I needed to read. I completely agree with your post. I'm actually going through something similar right now in my life. I have a good friend, and we have worked together as well. She was actually my manager. We formed such a strong bond, but after resigning from the job recently, I realized she actually isn't a good friend. I feel that I am being such a genuine friend and it's not being reciprocated. Your post was another eye-opener for me in terms of how letting go of people allows for growth and new relationships. I believe it's important that we do what is best for ourselves and our inner peace. Even though it hurts to know that our friendship will never be the same, our mental health comes first. Thank you for posting this blog. As a reader, you truly spoke to me:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan!
    I really loved reading your post and your perspective on the idea of letting go. Dealing with it is not easy at first, whether it be a relationship or a friendship . I am so proud of you, that you were able to put yourself first and to not surround yourself with people who will bring you down. I relate a lot because I have been in a similar situation, I was with someone who was changing for the worse and eventually you have to realize your worth and do what is best for yourself. Its definitely not an easy thing to do but I believe the end result is worth it, just like in your situation in finding a person that brings light into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. To quote Kylo Ren, "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." Granted, that quote is a little extreme, but, that is also why it is relevant. Letting go of anything can be hard. However, I know hard letting go of a relationship can be. I myself have "lost" a few friends because things weren't working for us. We even got in a fight. Sometimes, letting go is the only way to move forward. I don't like to lose friends, but, I know that not everyone has the best intentions for you. There are a lot of fakers out there and it's unfortunate. There is a person I know who essentially had her life ruined because of their family. Their sister never treated them nicely. She was most toxic. Fast forward, they're both adults now. The Sister asks them to move up so she can help them. They get them. The sister starts acting toxic and treats her like shit. But despite all of this, They stay. I know family can be a touchy subject, but, if they aren't helping you in any positive way; is it wrong to cut them off? The story is a bit oversimplified but the question still remains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan, thank you for sharing this post with us and a very personal experience. I relate to this a lot, I have lost my girl group of friends I had been with throughout my teenage years, one of my best friend included that I have been friends with for 7 years. It is very tough to let go of people you outgrow, or know is toxic to you. But it is sad in a way to see a relationship disappear, and sometimes you're just left with the good memories you've had with them. It does suck at the time, but in the future we will always thank ourselves for making that tough decision, and be grateful for the new people we have in our lives. Thanks for your post as it was very touching and I am glad you have a Natasha in your life :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment