Social Media Isn't Real
Hello everyone and welcome to my blog! I am so excited to share with you guys the ways that I have found that have helped me to love myself more. Self love is more than just skincare and face masks, it's about learning how to love the body and mind that you were born in. Learning to love yourself is a process because there are so many things that you have to unlearn about yourself that aren't true.
Growing up, I always felt insecure about the way that I looked and the things that I would say. I would spend hours getting ready in the morning making sure that I looked "perfect" before heading out the door and even then it wasn't good enough. It really put a toll on my mental health and it got even worse as social media became more prominent. I would constantly compare myself to girls I would see on social media and think to myself, "Why can't I be that pretty?" "Why can't I be that skinny?" "Why am I not good enough?" It was a constant battle with myself until I realized that no one actually looks like the photos that they post to social media. You're probably thinking, "But how if that's the person in the photo?". Well let me tell you about just some of the secrets that Instagram models use: photoshop, filters, angles, airbrush, etc.
Now that you guys know some of the secrets that make Instagram models, you're probably thinking "So what? I still don't feel good about myself." You're not alone, even celebrities have insecurities. Why do you think Kim Kardashian has had so many plastic surgeries and constantly puts filters over her photos on Instagram? This isn't to bash her for doing any of these things, it's to show you guys that we all have flaws and that no one is perfect. In other words, we're all human. Now that we've established that all of us have insecurities, in my upcoming blogs I will show you guys how to love yourself fully and how to embrace the beautiful mind and body that is you.

Hi Megan! I really enjoyed reading your post! In today’s fast-paced, and media dominated society it is so easy for us to get caught up with what everyone else is doing. Like you, growing up I constantly compared myself to the girls I see on social media. After hours scrolling on Instagram, I would asked myself questions like, “Why don’t I look like her?” and “Why is my skin not flawless like her?” I asked myself questions then, and I still ask myself these questions now, more often than I would like to admit. As I was reading your post, I totally agree that “Self-love is more than just skincare and face masks.” As we learn to love ourselves, we undoubtedly will have to unlearn many things as well. And as you suggested, one of those things is that social media is definitely not real! I look forward to reading your future blog posts!
ReplyDeleteHi Megan! I really enjoyed your blog and I really like the topic of your blog because I think it is a very important topic. I really liked how you introduced yourself at the beginning of your post, so your readers are able to identify you as well as why you chose to write about this topic in your blog. I also really enjoyed reading the articles from the hyperlinks you provided your readers with because they are very relevant and educational. I also like how you are raising awareness to this topic because I definitely believe it is an important topic that many individuals struggle with these days. I am very excited to see your upcoming posts and looking forward to reading more of your blogs!
ReplyDeleteHi Megan, I cannot express how much this resonates with me. When I was a child, all I ever did was sit on the Photo Booth with my pals and have fun. creating amusing videos with ridiculous effects. That developed into a nasty habit over time. More makeup, more serious expressions, and more Facebook comparisons to female friends. After Instagram gained popularity, it was over for me. When I was in the seventh grade, I recall always sporting the latest fashions and wearing mascara and glammed-up hair to school.But that was definitely not me. My parents used to tell me things like, "You are so beautiful the way you are," and other such things. I now battle greatly with lifestyle and appearance standards as I look at social media. Everyone seems to have a flawless figure and a perfect life filled with travel and leisure. Now as I've gotten used to it more, I realize this isn't real, but I still battle a lot with it. I find it upsetting to observe girls as young as 10 acting like they are 18. The world we live in now is quite strange. I appreciate you talking about a topic that is so genuine and important for so many people to hear.
ReplyDelete