You Have to Feel In Order to Heal

 






Hi everyone! For this week I want to talk about how we can express our emotions in a healthy way and how to acknowledge them. No one seems to ever want to talk about feeling negative emotions such as sadness, fear, and anger because they feel like they shouldn’t be feeling these emotions. When someone asks “How are you today?”, no one ever says what they’re really because it’s not socially accepted. Well I’m here to tell you that feeling negative emotions is completely normal and you are allowed to feel them. It’s normal and completely human. What would not be normal would be feeling extremely happy all the time. You can’t have the yin without the yang. It’s a balance. Again, feeling negative emotions is extremely normal but how do we express them in a healthy way?


Well the first step is acknowledging that we’re feeling the negative emotion. Ignoring or trying to conceal that we’re feeling sad, mad, etc. will just make us feel worse and make us explode. After me and my ex boyfriend broke up, I tried to conceal to everyone that I wasn’t feeling sad or simply didn’t care. It worked for a while, but it came to the point where I couldn’t do it anymore and I ended up feeling worse than when we first broke up. I wouldn’t leave my room for days at a time and started pushing people away. It’s understandable that you wouldn’t want to acknowledge that you’re sad or whatever it may be, but bottling it in will make you feel worse in the end. You have to let yourself feel in order to heal. 


After I began to feel the emotions I had concealed after the break up, I didn’t know how to express them. I would constantly lash out around those around me. I would drink an insane amount of alcohol to forget about the pain. I even began putting myself in risky situations in order to try to cope with what I was feeling. It just made me feel more sad and more angry. It was then that I decided to make the right decision and started seeing a therapist. She gave me many ideas that I can use in order to start expressing my feelings in a healthy way and how to start to heal from them. She first suggested that I start doing something that I love. For me, this one was easy so I began doing yoga. Any form of physical movement whether it be exercise, dance, etc. can be a really good way to let out any emotion you’re feeling. Another thing she suggested was journaling. She explained that when you’re feeling sad or anxious or whatever, write it down. It’s a release that allows you to put your thoughts out into the world without actually telling the whole world about it. 


Although these things have managed to help me when I’m feeling down, there are still days and nights where I feel sad. And you know what? That’s perfectly normal. There’s no cure to fixing a broken heart or whatever it is that you’re going through, but allowing yourself to feel negative emotions is a sign that you’re healing. Dwelling on them isn’t good either because you’ll find yourself back in that hole again, but doing the things you love and being around the people you love will show you how great life can be. Remember to look after yourself because at the end of the day, the most important person in your life is you. Thanks for reading and remember to feel!


Comments

  1. Hi Megan! Great blog post. I also wrote a blog on mental health so I was very interested in reading about what you had to say about dealing with out emotions. I too tend to bottle things in and have learned the hard way that that way of coping typically leads to self destructive behavior. I have learned over time to really let myself feel my emotions, but I think I struggle to find the point where I have felt my emotions enough and it's time to move on. Once a certain amount of time passes I start to feel guilty for being sad. I guess every situation is different and it takes different amounts of times to truly come to terms to different things, but sometimes I wish I could feel my emotions for a day or two then be completely ok after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan,
    I think you are so brave for sharing your story. Blogs like this are so much more enjoyable and benefical for the reader. I felt like I had a deeper connection with you because of your real life story. This blog also hit home with just because recently I have had a hard time when people ask "how are you doing." It feels extremely unnatural to say "I'm having a hard time." I hope that after this class you continue this journey.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thank you for these words this week, they were needed ! I had a very emotional week looking for a new horse while sleeping on my friends couches. I have been so stressed and sad and even had a breakdown at work in the back. It made me feel so vulnerable and fragile, but your words helped. Everyone goes through things, even if they put up a front to hide it. And you are so right; without the bad, there would be no good and it definitely wouldn't feel so sweet. It is okay to feel bad, and cope in the right way. It is all about finding a way to cope for yourself, so thank you for reminding me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post, I think it's so important for everyone to know that feeling whatever emotions they're feeling is normal, and its normal for that feeling to be not positive sometimes. I feel like nowadays a lot of people are so okay with not caring about their own feelings, and sometimes are okay with disregarding some other people feelings, and I think that's just not healthy. I do think a lot of people need to understand that it is okay to feel! After reading this I'm glad to hear you have found things and ways to overcome that breakup and I hope you are continuing doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meg, just want to say thank you for allowing us to hear such intimate details from your life. I can relate to these feelings of wanting to bottle it all in and then having it make things completely worse. I'm so proud of you for seeing a therapist, that is such a strong thing to do and I'm glad it has been benefiting you. I also have been seeing a therapist and I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I just think its ironic that its called therapy when its anything but therapeutic, its hard work and it could be extremely painful. You're right we shouldn't worry that it hurts sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, healing is not linear but being patient is important in this. Thank you for the kind words, I can't wait to read more from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Megan. I think the first step that you introduced was something that really made me think about because I have seen this within my sister and I. We both are the types of people to push our feelings away and then explode later because we always thought that it was normal to feel the way we were feeling. I remember the times where, just like you, stayed inside your room for days and push everyone away. Being able to acknowledge the negative effects of your knowledge is admirable. People don’t often realize what got them to begin that life. For me unlike the way you describe, I do have moments when I am feeling down, but I do not feel like I am healing at times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment