How Not to Compare Yourself to Others


Hi everyone! For my last blog post, I want to talk about how not to compare yourself to others. I touched upon this a little bit in my first post where I talked about how social media can affect us mentally but I want to go deeper into this topic. I believe that everyone, or at least most people, compare themselves to others. It’s not a good thing, but it’s kind of hard not to, especially in our society. We tend to compare ourselves to people who we think are more attractive or more successful than us. I am guilty of this and it is something I used to do a lot. 


After my ex-boyfriend and I broke up, he started dating someone else and I couldn’t help comparing myself to her. I would constantly ask myself, “Is she prettier than me?” “Is she more fun to be around?”. These were just some of the many thoughts I had whenever I would compare myself to her. It messed with me a lot and made me feel insecure about myself. It even came to the point where I started to dress like her just to “feel better about myself”. Of course, I didn’t. If anything it just made me feel worse. So, I began to wonder, what can I do to stop comparing myself to her? Well, first I truly needed to believe that I was all the things that I thought she was. This was pretty hard considering I wasn’t too confident. I needed to truly believe that I was pretty and I was a good person. To do this, I found that doing things that I love, hanging around with people I love, and taking time for myself was what helped. It helped me develop a confidence in myself that I didn’t know I had. 


I know this advice can be pretty redundant and you’ve probably heard it a million times, but it’s true. Focusing on yourself is the most important way to build confidence. Although there are times where I do find myself comparing myself to her or others, I am confident now that I am all of those things. If anything, focusing on myself made me forget to compare myself to others because I was only busy worrying about myself. It’s still hard but it’s gotten easier because now I am confident that I have a lot to offer and don’t need to prove anything to anyone. And so do you. Thanks for reading!


P.S. I thought the image above was pretty cheesy but it goes to show that you can't really compare yourself to anyone because we're all diverse and unique. It's like the sunset and flowers, they're both beautiful but completely different. 

 

Comments

  1. Hey, Meg! This is the first time I came across your blog. I am grateful that you addressed in your last blog how to not compare ourselves with others. Oftentimes, the world around us becomes too demanding and we cannot help but feel pressured. We then tend to compare ourselves to others and complain why they seem to have it easier than us... why they have things that we don't have.... why they live the life we want to live. If we observe more closely, all of us, no matter where we are in life, are just struggling to get by. That is why we should not compare ourselves and we should start practicing gratitude. Be grateful and make the most of what we have in life. Admittedly, we wouldn't get anything from comparison but intimidation, demotivation, and self-loathing. Focusing on what we have will allow us to achieve true happiness. Thanks for this comforting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg, thank you for sharing this topic with us this week and for sharing your experiences. I can relate with comparing myself to others, and especially with social media I think it has gotten a bit worse for me. I tend to compare myself to people I see online and to people I see out in public. I've noticed that I do this more when I'm not feeling pretty or less confident with my makeup, hair, outfit, etc. So I think Its important that we realize that its not healthy to think that way and try to use that energy to motivate us instead of hating on ourselves. Thank you again! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg! I really enjoyed and loved this blog post. This is most definitely something I struggle with as well as others every day because of the society we live in. It is definitely easier said than done what it comes to not comparing yourself to others. I hope and wish we will soon live in a society when individuals do not compare themselves to others. Everyone has a lot to learn about this, but I hope one day we will all learn this and get better at not comparing ourselves to others. This is a very inspiring blog post, and I am glad and happy you wrote about this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment